UPDATE 22 FEBRUARY 2018 – THURLBY DOMAIN WEDDING RECEPTIONS
At this stage, Vicki and Revell have decided they don’t want to host “many (if any)” Wedding Receptions at Thurlby Domain in the future. This is due to wedding parties not abiding by the curfew. Vicki and Revell are easy-going but don’t want to upset their neighbours with loud music late at night). If this changes I will update this listing.
ABOUT THURLBY DOMAIN
Thurlby Domain is a stunning historic property located between Queenstown and Arrowtown. It is set in a semi-rural setting on the beautiful Speargrass Flat Road and is both private and peaceful.
(Note: despite the “Domain” in it’s name, Thurlby is private property. Because of this, you must ask permission from the owners to go onto their property).
Thurlby Domain is a surprisingly large property. It consists of rambling forested grounds, a small pond and creek and the stone ruins of the old Hallenstein Homestead at one end. (The ruins are where most people choose to have their ceremony). In addition, at the other end of the property are the woolshed, the cow byre, the old stone stables. The woolshed is a wooden-floored corrugated iron walled/roofed barn and makes a stunning Reception Venue. The stone stables make an ideal bad weather back up option for the ceremony. Having said that, the majority of the ceremonies I have shot in the stables were in good weather. In each of those cases, the bride and groom fell in love with the stables and decided to have the ceremony there anyway.
To me Thurlby feels like a rambling, long-lost English garden in a world where magic just might still exist.
THURLBY DOMAIN VENUE FEES
As of July 2016, Revell and Vicki have finally updated their venue fees. The new fees are $230 incl. GST to have photos only at Thurlby and $575 incl. GST for a wedding ceremony. However, obviously double check the pricing and other details with Vicki when you check availability/book.
I haven’t posted Revell and Vicki’s contact details here for a reason. This is because, while they love hosting wedding ceremonies at Thurlby, they don’t want their property too heavily promoted. They feel (and I totally agree) that part of the beauty of Thurlby is the fact that it’s not a wedding factory and it’s kind of off the radar. If you are keen to have your wedding ceremony at Thurlby Domain please contact me & I will happily tell you all about the place and pass on Revell and Vicki’s contact details.
5 REASONS TO HAVE YOUR WEDDING AT THURLBY DOMAIN
- With it’s stunning backdrop of ruins/historic buildings and beautiful trees & rambling gardens, Thurlby Domain looks stunning in any weather. (Many Queenstown Wedding Ceremony Venues with mountain & lake views look stunning in good weather. But in rain or even cloud those views can totally disappear. When you have a background closer to the camera – eg trees & historic buildings – you can still see that background even in the worst weather).
- On top of #1 above, the old Stone Stables make an amazing bad weather ceremony backup option. (The Stables are, in my opinion, large enough to hold around 100 people for a ceremony). The building known as “The Stables” is long and narrow with a tin roof and stone walls and a cobbled stone floor. It also has multiple wooden stable-style doors that are gnarled and ancient-looking (and look amazing). While they are quite dark and moody, the Stables look incredible on camera. There are skylights along 2/3 of the length of the building which let in a lovely soft light. On top of this, a few years ago Revell and Vicki put in a string of vintage copper lights. (Yes, The Stables does have mains electricity but no water or toilets). Note: there is a shallow gutter that runs almost down the centre of the building. Because it is off-centre, when setting up chairs in Thurlby Domain couples normally set them up with 4 on one side and 3 on the other. The shallow depression of this gutter combined with the uneven stone cobbles means you will need a carpet aisle runner to safely navigate your aisle.
- Thurlby Domain looks beautiful in all seasons. If I had to pick the season that Thurlby Domain looks the most beautiful I would have to say autumn. But it also looks amazing in summer, spring and winter. And it is hard to pick when the autumn colours will look their best so it is difficult to pick the perfect date for a Thurlby Domain autumn wedding.
- Thurlby Domain is set in the countryside on a quiet back road. This location combined with it’s large & beautiful rambling grounds with lots of trees make it a very tranquil and relaxing place to get married.
- In my experience, the kind of couples that choose Thurlby Domain Queenstown Wedding Venue for their Wedding Ceremony are generally down to earth, natural & relaxed. As a Queenstown Wedding Photographer, this makes them pretty much my Dream Couples. So when couples contact me about the possibility of using Thurlby Domain for their Wedding Ceremony Venue, I pretty much know straight away they are going to be my kind of people.
2 REASONS TO NOT HAVE YOUR WEDDING AT THURLBY DOMAIN
- As mentioned above, the owners of Thurlby aren’t keen on having “many (if any)” Wedding Receptions at Thurlby Domain in the near future. (They are still totally open to Ceremonies). While this isn’t a definite no, it means that it may be more difficult in the future to secure a Thurlby Domain Wedding Reception.
- If they do allow your Reception, Thurlby Domain has an 11pm curfew. This, combined with it’s rural location, means it’s not ideal for those couples who want to party late into the night.
- Thurlby Domain is a totally blank canvas DIY venue. Nothing is included. There are no toilets or running water at Thurlby Domain. Only electricity is available – at the Stables and the Woolshed (barn). It is easy to rent a portaloo, which takes care of the toilet situation. And if you are planning a Ceremony only at Thurlby Domain the lack of running water isn’t a problem. But renting portaloos will add to your costs obviously and not all guests are willing to use a portaloo. You will probably also want to rent some chairs and a PA system. (Although your celebrant may have their own PA system they can bring). This means it’s a lot more work, especially for out of town couples planning a Thurlby Domain Destination Wedding.
JEWEL ON SPEARGRASS GETTING READY LOCATION NEXT DOOR TO THURLBY DOMAIN
If you fall in love with Thurlby and decide to host your wedding there, make sure you check out Jewel On Speargrass Boutique Batch Accommodation and Getting Ready Location. It is located over the fence from Thurlby and makes an ideal Getting Ready Location for Thurlby Domain bridal parties. You can book Jewel On Speargrass through the lovely ladies at Relax It’s Done.
Register For This Site
A password will be e-mailed to you.