ABOUT THURLBY DOMAIN QUEENSTOWN WEDDING VENUE
I thought it would be helpful if I put all the info for Thurlby into a blog post. (Please check out our Thurlby Domain Listing on the Venues Page for even more info about Thurlby Domain).
First things first, I have to get one thing off my chest. I LOVE THURLBY DOMAIN!! It is one of my all-time favourite wedding venues here in Queenstown. Having said that, when talking to couples about Thurlby Domain for their wedding, I do try to be objective. After all, each to their own – no Wedding Venue is perfect for everybody!
But let me tell you why I love Thurlby Domain and why I think it makes such a fantastic Queenstown Wedding Venue. But first let me be clear – I do not own or manage Thurlby. I am a local (Queenstown NZ) Wedding Photographer who shoots a lot of weddings there. My name is Patrick Fallon and I own and operate Fallon Photography here in Queenstown. So the info and advice I am about to give you is based on having shot dozens and dozens of Thurlby Domain Weddings over the years.
WHY THURLBY DOMAIN IS MY FAVOURITE QUEENSTOWN WEDDING VENUE
- With it’s stunning backdrop of ruins/historic buildings and beautiful trees & rambling gardens, Thurlby Domain looks stunning in any weather. (Many Queenstown Wedding Ceremony Venues with mountain & lake views look stunning in good weather. But in rain or even cloud those views can totally disappear. When you have a background closer to the camera – eg trees & historic buildings – you can still see that background even in the worst weather).
- On top of #1 above, the old Stone Stables make an amazing bad weather ceremony backup option. (The Stables are, in my opinion, large enough to hold around 100 people for a ceremony). The building known as “The Stables” is long and narrow with a tin roof and stone walls and a cobbled stone floor. It also has multiple wooden stable-style doors that are gnarled and ancient-looking (and look amazing). While they are quite dark and moody, the Stables look incredible on camera. There are skylights along 2/3 of the length of the building which let in a lovely soft light. On top of this, a few years ago Revell and Vicki put in a string of vintage copper lights. (Yes, The Stables does have mains electricity but no water or toilets). Note: there is a shallow gutter that runs almost down the centre of the building. Because it is off-centre, when setting up chairs in Thurlby Domain couples normally set them up with 4 on one side and 3 on the other. The shallow depression of this gutter combined with the uneven stone cobbles means you will need a carpet aisle runner to safely navigate your aisle.
- Thurlby Domain looks beautiful in all seasons. If I had to pick the season that Thurlby Domain looks the most beautiful I would have to say autumn. But it also looks amazing in summer, spring and winter. And it is hard to pick when the autumn colours will look their best so it is difficult to pick the perfect date for a Thurlby Domain autumn wedding.
- Thurlby Domain is set in the countryside on a quiet back road. This location combined with it’s large & beautiful rambling grounds with lots of trees make it a very tranquil and relaxing place to get married.
- In my experience, the kind of couples that choose Thurlby Domain Queenstown Wedding Venue for their Wedding Ceremony are generally down to earth, natural & relaxed. As a Queenstown Wedding Photographer, this makes them pretty much my Dream Couples. So when couples contact me about the possibility of using Thurlby Domain for their Wedding Ceremony Venue, I pretty much know straight away they are going to be my kind of people.
2 REASONS TO NOT HAVE A THURLBY DOMAIN WEDDING
- Thurlby Domain has an 11pm curfew. This, combined with it’s rural location, means it’s not ideal for those couples who want to party late into the night.
- Thurlby Domain is a totally blank canvas DIY venue. Nothing is included. There are no toilets or running water at Thurlby Domain. Only electricity is available – at the Stables and the Woolshed (barn). It is easy to rent a portaloo, which takes care of the toilet situation. And if you are only having your Ceremony and not Reception at Thurlby Domain the lack of running water isn’t a problem. But renting portaloos will add to your costs obviously and not all guests are willing to use a portaloo. You will probalby also want to rent some chairs and a PA system. (Although your celebrant may have their own PA system they can bring). This means it’s a lot more work, especially for out of town couples planning a Thurlby Domain Destination Wedding.
- (For Receptions only). The only building suitable for Wedding Receptions at Thurlby Domain is the Woolshed (red barn). This is because it is the only large building there with a level (wooden) floor. The maximum seating capacity for a Reception in the Woolshed is roughly 60 – 70 people. As an example, the only Wedding Reception I have shot in the Woolshed had just under 60 guests plus room for the band and dance-floor.
To check out more sample photos and see more info about Thurlby Domain Queenstown Wedding Venue please go to the Thurlby Domain Queenstown Wedding Venue Listing on our Venues Page.
BOOK THURLBY DOMAIN FOR YOUR QUEENSTOWN WEDDING.
If you would like to get in touch with the owners of Thurlby Domain Queenstown Wedding Venue to inquire about availability and prices or to make a booking, please get in touch with me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on +64(0)21737356 and I will send you their contact information.
THURLBY DOMAIN QUEENSTOWN WEDDING VENUE RECEPTIONS
In February 2018, Vicki & Revell Buckham (the owners) contacted me and told me they didn’t want to do “many (if any)” Wedding Receptions at Thurlby Domain.
This was because they had had issues with a couple of receptions lately where the band/DJ played loud music after the curfew. Not only this, but when Revell asked them to turn the music down they argued with him.
FYI the relevant clause in their Venue Agreement is as below;
“Curfew is to be 11 pm (music and other celebrations are to cease by this time).
11. Bands are not to have amplifiers, bass or drums (there are very close neighbours and
consideration is important).”
THURLBY DOMAIN WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHY
As well as being the author of this, The Queenstown Wedding Blog, I am also a full-time Queenstown Wedding Photographer. So, if you haven’t found your Dream Wedding Photographer yet you might want to check out my Photography website because;
- I know & love Thurlby better than pretty much anybody.
- I enjoy a great relationship with Revell and Vicki, the owners of Thurlby.
- As the author of The Queenstown Wedding Blog I am a very “Wedding Planner-y” Wedding Photographer and can help you out with a tonne of info and advice. Including Venue and Vendor info and recommendations.
- I offer special Packages for Thurlby weddings that could save you some serious $$$! This is because I love Thurlby and the kind of couples that dig Thurlby are pretty much my Dream Couples.
- My style of Wedding Photography is Relaxed, Natural & Fun.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE THURLBY DOMAIN WEDDING PLANNING PACK EBOOK HERE
On the bottom of this Page you will also find the Signup Form to download our free Thurlby Domain Wedding Planning Pack.
This eBook contains a tonne of info that any couple planning a Thurlby wedding will find super helpful. Most noteworthy being.
- Top 10 Recommended Thurlby Domain Wedding Vendors
- 4 Seasonal Thurlby Domain Wedding Timelines from real Thurlby Domain winter, spring, autumn and summer weddings.
- Wedding Ceremony Tips by Queenstown Celebrant Kathryn Omond.
- Wedding Makeup Tips by Queenstown Wedding Makeup Artist Emily Plum.
I hope you find this info helpful. If you have any questions about Thurlby Domain or Queenstown Weddings in general then please either leave a comment at the bottom of this page or email me at email@example.com. Or you could keep it old school and actually talk to me! My mobile is +64(0)21737356.